Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You get what you pay for

There have been several articles and discussions lately on various photography forums and group pages about what a photographer should charge for their services.

I get 3 or 4 emails daily direct from my website enquiring about the costs of shoots and only about 10% of these actually result in a shoot. I have had feedback from a few prospective clients that they had gone for a cheaper package.
A few of these prospective clients had also in the meantime added me as a friend on Facebook and therefore I also got to see the results of some of the "cheaper packages". I make a point of never running other photographers work down as we all had to start somewhere and I cringe when I look at some of my earlier work, but I have to say that there are some really nasty "photographers" out there with really poor quality results. Hence the title of this post. When I see the results of some of their shoots, my 1st thought is that I hope that at least they got the shoot for free and did not part with any cash for these shoddy images. However, this is not the only factor. The client also invested time and money in preparing for and going to the shoot, only to be dissapointed with less than lovely images.

Now it is definitley not just having good equipment that makes for a good photographer BUT the photographer that spends R8000.00 on a camera with 2 kit lenses from Makro/Walmart is just not going to be able to produce the same results that I can with my R80,000.00 investment in photographic, computer equipment and editing software.

Again, on a last note "Buyer beware, you will probably get exactly what you pay for".

3 comments:

Tanya De Leeuw said...

Big thumbs up on this! Well said!

Anonymous said...

Okay... BUT I've also seen some real good work produced by "amateurs" with a R5000 point and shoot, some cardboard boxes and a disco light.

I wouldn't be so quick to diss the equipment when there are some ugly work from photographers that think all they need is some R100k kit.

You get what you pay for in the photographer and not the equipment they are using.

Alex Bond-Smith said...

Agreed. I have seen some lovely and really creative images produced by photographers using basic equipment BUT still think that technically better images will be produced by better lenses etc.

Black Shouldered Kite

Black Shouldered Kite
Taken with Sigma 150-500 OS lens

Lioness

Lioness
Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Caracal

Caracal
AKA "Rooikat". Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Winter Surfer

Winter Surfer
Table View, Cape Town, South Africa

Eric Harley leading off.

Eric Harley leading off.
Barrier Buttress, Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa